My Updates

Friday, February 18, 2011

Valentine's Day

Not really any wedding news, but I wanted to share what we did for Valentine's Day and our 2-year Anniversary (dating) which was the 17th.

We actually celebrated last Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday we decided to go Steampunk on our date - so I was wearing full-blown corset, bustle, boots, etc... and he was wearing his suit, top hat, and special glasses! It was really exciting!

We went to church first. However, while it was fun and we got a great many "looks" and a few compliments, I wouldn't ever dress up to church like that again. While I would hope not to be a distraction to others just because of how I'm dressed, I was still adding in a variable that could cause the people around me to think more about "what is she dressed like that, what's going on" rather than focusing on the message. Dressing fancy would be fun, but the short-skirted bustle and fancy corset would be a "no".

I also became concerned about this to the point where I was becoming a distraction to myself. So, Steampunk to church is a no-go in the future (unless the situation deems it worthy).

Onto the next stop - Newport on the Levee! Which we spent the rest of the night here. We were going to go see "Gnomeo and Juliet" and then eat at Claddaghs, the Irish Pub. However, we had two hours before the movie started. So first we went into the costume shop there, which I think we really didn't get the reaction we were thinking of. Nothing. Absolutely nothing, not even from the shopkeep. I mean, this costume shop specializes in Medieval, LARP, Weapons, Steampunk, and Ren-Fair-esque supplies... so we were expecting something... and we just got nothing.

So we moved onto Barnes & Noble. While we continued to get those amazing looks that I love, we felt pretty comfortable here since it was just recently Jules Verne's birthday and we thought maybe people would think we were there for that, haha.

Us waiting for the elevator before the movie. Isn't he sexy?
While there, we saw a group of "goths" - you know the kind... half their head is shaven, other half is extremely long, black, and unwashed because no one loves or understands them. They're not pale enough so they put white face makeup on with black or bright red lipstick. Their cloths just aren't black enough to represent the darkness inside their soul... and those are the guys.

Immediately I told Travis, "You know what, I think we beat them in the attention-getting department. We win!" he laughed and agreed. The difference is, I think, while we were getting "looks" and such, they weren't ever hostile or negative - they were curious and confused. The attention we were getting as opposed to any attention the children that walk the darkest night were getting was that ours was more positive (in a way) rather than upsetting/hostile. I really enjoyed that idea.

Anyways, we then proceeded to the Cold Stone Creamery across the way. I got a small "That's How I Roll" and Travis got... something, I can't remember. Too much chocolate for me, haha.

I should mention that Newport on the Levee's logo involves gears, and the way the plaza is set up could be like a street in England during the Victorian era. Minus, you know, neon and the still-up Christmas lights.

It was getting closer to movie time, so we went up the the third floor of the...umm, "main building" and stood outside the Shadowbox - which is a Rock n' Roll Sketch Comedy and Music Club that we go to sometimes. There is an entrance to the movie theater right next to it, and since there was a show going on inside we figured the outside would be a quiet place to eat our ice cream (very well sound proof and not a lot of foot traffic).

We then went to see "Gnomeo and Juliet", which was cute - I relatively liked it, but I don't think it was worth the ticket price of $10 each. Note that we saw it in 2D, I have strong opinions against seeing 3D movies - IMAX is another story, however, so if we want to see IMAX and it only comes in IMAX 3D, I'll make the sacrifice. Like Tron *drool* or possibly the next Star Trek movie *pass out*.

I think people (which, it was extremely busy) thought that we were there for the premier of something... but there wasn't any movies out that could even possibly fit.

We did decide, however, that for the next Sherlock Holmes movie we would be dressing up. And possibly the next Pirates of the Caribbean.

Finally! A semi-okay picture of me in my outfit!
After the movie, we went to eat. We fit into the scenery very well at Claddaghs. I got the Monte Cristo sandwich and Travis got the Shepard's Pie. All extremely tasty!

After that, we left to go back to his house. By this point, we were exhausted, so we basically went straight to sleep.

Next day, he ran out and bought McDonalds for breakfast for both of us. It was awesome. We hung out for a bit, then decided I needed to take a shower - which I wasn't going to do in the house he stays in, but that's a different story/rant.

I should mention that my gift to him was that I pre-ordered both Pokemon Black and White for us. He was extremely excited about it, but he was also thinking that getting Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver would be a good idea since you get a special "Shiney" pokemon in B&W if you have those versions.

So he ended up buying HeartGold and SoulSilver, haha. I have HeartGold now. It hasn't even been a week and I'm already on my 8th badge with Pokemon averaging at level 30. He was still at level 10-ish when I talked to him Wednesday, haha.

I had homework to do, so we didn't do much the rest of that day besides play Pokemon together and go get Chipotle for dinner.

So, it was all-around a really good weekend. Thanks for reading about it, haha :)

1 comment:

  1. I really like your corset!
    My 10 year old has been trying to talk me into taking him to see Gnomeo and Juliet. Maybe we'll just wait until it comes out on DVD.

    ReplyDelete