My Updates

Thursday, July 1, 2010

In the Beginning (the cake)

So now that we're planning, and I have a few good designs, we are working out the details.


We haven't even decided a budget yet, which I'm going to leave those sort of numbers out of the blog, but my mother wants to make sure everything is the highest quality it can be. For example, the cake. We've joked about getting a cake from Charm City Cakes (AKA "Ace of Cakes" as seen on Food Network). I contacted them the other day and they promptly got back to me.


First off, the cake. My original inspiration is a cake I saw when researching steampunk images. Each tier of the cake would be on a different platform. The tiers would be shaped kinda skewed and would be white fondant with wood accents and my gear design. However, the biggest part of the cake would be the table on which it would be displayed. In my head, I see a beautiful wood display table (as in, a glass top that can be lifted to place objects) and the display is full of moving gears that rotate the central pole that extends out of the glass. It would have several arms attached to it, which hold the platforms the tiers sit on. This would allow the tiers to rotate in a circle.


Secondly, back to Charm City Cakes, I live in Cincinnati and their shop is in Baltimore, which is about an 8 hour drive. So we knew a delivery would be expensive. However, not $3,500 expensive. On top of that, the cake would be at least $2,500.

Spending that much on a cake hurts my soul, so we are probably going to make the table ourselves and find a good local place and challenge them.

So far, we've visited an antique mall, but it was so big we didn't really get a chance to look at everything very closely. I'll take pictures next time we go.

Lastly, I mentioned a gear design that I'm working on that will be a common motif in the invitations and my dress. Gears that are layered to replicate a flower arrangement.


So tell me, what is something you would love to see at a steampunk wedding (that preferably wouldn't cost that much money)?

No comments:

Post a Comment